Face jowls are something that no one wants to have to deal with. They can age you beyond your years, leaving you feeling insecure about yourself. Luckily, there are ways to get rid of them for good. Whether you’re looking for a surgical or non-surgical solution, there are options available that can help you achieve the look you want to have.
What Exactly are Face Jowls?
Face jowls are the sagging skin and tissue that can form beneath the jawline and around the neck. They are often associated with a lack of collagen in the skin, leading to a droopy, wrinkled, and saggy appearance.
What Causes Face Jowls?
Face jowls can be caused by several factors, including:
- Excessive history of sunburn
- Lack of Exercise
- Physical trauma/injury to the muscles in the face and jaw
- Poor skin hygiene
- Rapid weight loss
- Sun damage
While many factors can contribute to the formation of face jowls, the primary cause is the natural aging process. As we age, our skin loses elasticity and begins to sag and droop due to the natural loss of collagen. However, this process can be accelerated by other factors, such as sun exposure and smoking.
Can You Prevent Face Jowls?
Since there is no way to prevent the natural aging process, many people are looking for ways to slow down the formation of face jowls. The good news? There are several things that you can do to help prevent the appearance of face jowls, including:
- Regular exercise
- Eating a well-balanced diet
- Staying properly hydrated
- Using skincare products that promote the production of collagen and elastin, such as retinol
- Using sunscreen to prevent sun damage
- Avoiding smoking
- Avoid habits and expressions that pull the cheeks and jaw muscles downward (frowning, staring at a computer or phone for long hours)
Should You Have Your Face Jowls Removed?
Face jowls can be an unwelcome part of your appearance, but they are entirely harmless. If you are concerned about the appearance of your face jowls, you can talk to your doctor about possible treatments, but this is a personal decision you should make after consulting with a medical professional.
Procedures for Removing Face Jowls
If you are interested in having your face jowls removed, several invasive and non-invasive procedures can be performed to achieve the desired results. Some of the most common procedures include:
- Facelift: This surgical procedure can remove excess skin and tighten the remaining skin to help reduce sagging and wrinkles.
- Neck lift: Similar to a facelift, it helps to tighten the skin around the neck while also removing excess skin.
- Dermal Fillers: This non-surgical procedure uses fillers to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and sagging by plumping up the skin and adding volume.
- Laser Therapy: This treatment uses lasers to help tighten skin by increasing collagen production.
- Chemical Peels: This procedure removes the top layer of skin to help tighten and smooth it out.
Get Your Questions Answered by Dr. Binder
When deciding whether or not to have a facial procedure done, such as fixing your jowls with a facelift or dermal fillers, it is essential to do the necessary research and ask the right questions. With so many options out there, it can be overwhelming and confusing, so you should always consult with a professional before making a decision.
Dr. Binder is a board-certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon who is trained and experienced in various procedures to help his patients look and feel their best. He takes pride in giving patients all the information they need to make the best possible decisions for themselves.
If you have questions about face jowls or want to schedule a consultation, please contact Dr. Binder’s office today!