Before having any type of surgery, it is important that you make sure to broach any questions or concerns that you might have about the entire surgery process with your doctor. Here’s a list of some of the questions that you should ask your doctor during your consultation appointment.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Are you board-certified?
- Do you have other professional affiliations?
- How long have you been performing this type of procedure?
- How many of these procedures have you performed?
- What surgery do you perform the most in your practice?
Questions About the Procedure
- Which surgery will best address my needs?
- How is the surgery performed?
- How safe is the procedure?
- How long does the procedure usually last?
- Are there other options available?
- Can I have multiple procedures done at the same time?
- Will I need revision surgery?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- Will I have visible scars?
- What complications may occur and how frequently?
- What kind of anesthesia will be used on me during surgery?
- Will I be able to speak with the anesthesiologist before surgery?
- Who performs the skin care/postoperative follow-up/suture removal?
Questions About Preparing for Plastic Surgery
- What do I need to do in the week leading up to surgery in order to prepare?
- What preparation is required the day before and the morning of the surgery?
- Should my regular medicine be taken the morning of the surgery?
- Where will the surgery be performed?
- What time should I arrive at the surgery location?
- Should someone drive me to and from my surgery?
- Will I need to stay overnight?
- What sort of clothes should I bring to wear home?
- Will I need to see a doctor prior to surgery for examination or testing because of pre-existing medical conditions?
- How long before surgery should I stop smoking?
Questions About Post-Surgical Problem Solving
- If a problem should arise after I go home, who answers calls after hours and on weekends?
- If I need to be seen after hours, where will this occur?
- If I need help in my home, is a private duty nurse available?
- What if I am unhappy with the results or with the degrees of changes achieved?
- If touch-ups are necessary, when would they be performed?
- How long is the recovery period?
- Do any of my medical conditions mean that recovery will last longer than average?
- What kind of medical care is required during recovery?
- What sort of help will I need at home during my recovery?
- What will my physical limitations be during recovery?
- Are any special medications or diet required during the recovery period?
- What should I watch for during healing that may indicate a problem?
- How much pain/swelling/bruising is to be expected?
- How will my pain be managed after I go home?
- How many follow-ups are necessary and when will they take place?
- Will I need to wear a compression garment or other special clothing?
- When can I start exercising again?
- When will I be able to take a bath or go swimming?
- When will I be able to drive again?
- When will I be able to return to work and normal activities?
Questions About Cost and Payment
- Do you charge a consultation fee?
- Does the cost depend on where my surgery is performed?
- Will it save me money to have multiple surgeries done at once?
- Will insurance cover the cost?
- What options are available for payment?
Schedule a Visit
If you have any other questions or concerns about any type of cosmetic procedure, then book a consultation with Dr. Binder so that he can help you find the answers you’re looking for.